Taṇhā is an important concept in Buddhism, referring to “thirst, desire, longing” (physical or mental), and is typically translated as “craving”. In the second of the Four Noble Truths, the Buddha identified taṇhā as the primary source of dukkha, which is suffering, pain and unsatisfactoriness.
There are three types of taṇhā.
Kama-taṇhā is the craving for excitement and pleasure in one’s bodily senses, and is symbolized in this artwork by the NightFaun. This antlered girl represents my hidden, primal and instinctual (and perhaps “darker”) aspects of my psyche.
Bhava-taṇhā is the craving to become something other than what you are right now, and is symbolized by the Antlered Penguin (whose name remains undecided at the moment). His existence revolves around trying to fit in and be “normal” like everyone else, to be anyone or anything other than himself.
Vibhava-taṇhā is the craving to rid oneself of something undesirable, such as unpleasant people and experiences in life. I’ve always been fascinated with the stars, believing that there’s another place out there away from all the suffering and pain of reality. This work depicts an idyllic escape into a world of stars and galaxies.
But ultimately, the space within one’s self can never be filled, and the cravings and dukkha continue to re-cycle until the end of time.
Artwork title: “Taṇhā” (2016)
Materials: Professional Grade Watercolor, White Gouache, Watercolor Paper
Size: 11.7 x 16.5 in. (29.7 x 41.9 cm)
This is an original illustration on paper, and a Signed Certificate of Authenticity will be included.
Price shown is in US dollars (US$), and doesn’t include shipping and/or taxes.
This original artwork has been exhibited at:
2016 – Group Exhibition, “Seven Deadly SINs” by Band of Doodlers, Singapore
2017 – Art Apart Fair, with Utterly Art, Singapore
– This is an original illustration on paper.
– The artwork has been hand-painted on 300gsm watercolor paper using professional grade watercolor and white gouache.
– All original artworks are hand-signed on the front and back by myself, and comes with a certificate of authenticity that is also hand-signed.
– Keep artwork in an area away from direct sunlight, as the colors may fade with continued exposure to direct sunlight.
– The artwork surface must be covered at all times, either by the plastic sleeve in which it arrives, or within a picture frame.
Each item is described, photographed and depicted as accurately as possible. However, due to variations in individual PC monitor hues, it’s impossible for all pieces to look the same on every computer monitor.
– This original fine art illustration will ship out within 24-72 hours of payment.
– The artwork will be packaged in a plastic sleeve, and rolled in a tube mailer, and you may get it framed however you like.
– All original artworks are shipped via registered mail through Singapore Post and a tracking number will be sent to you.
If you prefer your item to be shipped via FedEx or DHL, do get in touch with me. 🙂
Commissions / Customized Artwork:
– Like what you see and want to get a similar original artwork made specially for you or your loved ones?
– Chat with me at firstname.lastname@example.org